Policy in full
In order to meet graduation requirements and be awarded a British Columbia Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma), students must earn a minimum of 80 credits. (See notes below for information concerning adult students, international students, and students unable to meet graduation requirements.) These must include 48 credits for required courses, a minimum of 28 elective credits, and 4 credits for Graduation Transitions.
Credits must be earned in the following subject areas or courses:
- a Language Arts 10 (4 credits)
- a Language Arts 11 (4 credits)
- a Language Arts 12 (4 credits)
- a Social Studies 10 (4 credits)
- a Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- a Mathematics 10 (4 credits)
- a Mathematics 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- a Science 10 (4 credits)
- a Science 11 or 12 (4 credits)
- Physical Education 10 (4 credits)
- a Fine Arts and/or an Applied Skills 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits)
- Planning 10 (4 credits)
A list of all courses that may be used to satisfy these requirements is found in the online Course Registry. Information about options for satisfying the requirements for Fine Arts and/or Applied Skills (4 credits) is found in the Fine Arts and Applied Skills Requirements in the Graduation Program Policy and in the Handbook of Procedures for the Graduation Program.
Students must complete a minimum of 28 elective credits. These 28 credits may be from Ministry-authorized or Board/Authority Authorized (BAA) courses, post-secondary courses orexternal credentials, but not Locally Developed courses. Once the credits for required courses have been met, additional courses in that subject area count as elective credits.
Students must earn 4 credits for Graduation Transitions. The standards for evaluating students, and guidelines for reporting, are contained in the Program Guide for Graduation Transitions (PDF).
Other requirements and options for earning credits
Students must complete a minimum of 16 credits at the Grade 12 level, 12 credits in addition to a required Language Arts 12 course. These twelve Grade 12 credits may be for required courses, electives, Independent Directed Study, External Credentials, or dual credit post-secondary courses (see the Earning Credit through Equivalency, Challenge, External Credentials, Post-Secondary Credit and Independent Directed Studies Policy for additional information).
Grad 2019 Dates:
Cap and Gown Distribution: All grads must attend a meeting on (date to be determined in late May) to finalize details of the ceremony and receive their Cap and Gown and Grad T-Shirt. Cap and Gowns should be removed from the packaging well before the ceremony and hung up and/or ironed to remove wrinkles. Students will keep their cap and gown and T-shirt after the ceremony.
Date: Friday, June 7, 2019
- All students participating in the ceremony must attend the rehearsal at UVic Auditorium from 8:45am to 1:00pm. NO EXCEPTIONS (Grads should wear their T-Shirt to the rehearsal)
- 5:45: All grads must arrive at UVIC auditorium. Arrive earlier if you intend to take your own photos with friends and family
- 6:00: The class group photo is taken on the hill behind the auditorium.
- 6:35: Grads line up for processional into the auditorium
- 6:35-6:55: Families and Guests seated for the ceremony.
- 7:00 Ceremony begins
- 9:00: Approximate ending
University Centre Farquhar Auditorium
3800 Finnerty Road
Victoria BC V8P 5C2
Tickets: Tickets are available through school cash online (All tickets are $7.50 each) or in person with Mrs Bourassa in the main office starting on April 12th, 2019.
Once tickets are paid for, UVic will contact via email with seat assignments.
Final day for online ticket sales is May 27th.
- Information Meeting/Grad Gown Distribution/Grad Choir Rehearsal: May 30th A Block
- Final Grad Choir rehearsal and ceremony information meeting: June 6th C Block
Families may order a DVD copy of the ceremony here: Best Color Video Order Form: E_Order_Form_LH_2018
- >>>Grad Checklist<<< Click here to view a list of all grad related dates and information
- >>>Grad Ceremony Student Input<<< Click here to have a voice in your grad ceremony
- >>>Vote Here<<< You must be logged into your sd61learn account. Voting closes Monday, April 29th at 3:15.
- >>>Grad Ceremony Write-Ups<< Click to access information and submit a write up to be read as you cross the stage at the ceremony. You will only need to complete this if you intend on participating in the ceremony. Link to more information on the write up
All grads must know which line they are in for the ceremony: >>>Click Here<<<
Date: Tuesday, June 25th
- 6:00-6:15 Students arrive and check in at the Laurel Point Inn. Please note all bags and purses will be checked upon entry and there is no re-entry to the event after a student leaves.
- 6:30 Dinner
- 7:15 Music, Pictures, Socializing, Photobooth
- 9:00-10:00 Mezmer the Hypnotist
There are no Lambrick Park sanctioned after grad activities scheduled beyond the 10:00 pm ending of the banquet.
Inn at Laurel Point
680 Montreal Street
Tickets: $90 Available for purchase May 1st to June 5th
Guests: Guest Forms will be available through the office starting on May 1st and are due back on May 18th
Grads may sign up for specific table seating after they have paid at lunch in the school foyer from May 28th to June 5th. Students may only sign up for themselves and their guest.
Grad Photos: December 17-19
Please download the following information sheet to book an appointment online with Mountainwest Studios
Grad Winter Formal
Location: The Beach House: http://www.beachhousevictoria.com/
Date: Wednesday, December 19th
- Must be in good standing to attend!
- Guest forms must be completed: Due Back by December 7th for approval
- Payments can be made via the online payment method on the school website. $60.00
- You can sign up in the office for a table with your friends starting on Monday, December 10th after everyone in your group has paid.
- Cost: $65
- This amount covers the cost of the rental of the University of Victoria auditorium, certificates, grad t-shirts, grad activities and prizes, caps and gowns, and programs for the ceremony in June.
- Cost: $90
- This amount covers the cost of the rental of the Inn at Laurel Point, dinner and entertainment.